Farmer7574

Farmer's Undead

Hey all,

I’ve been spending all of my painting time over the last 18 months on my Greenskins. It was meant to be a side project but turned into something bigger.

I’ve been looking forward to getting this army up and running for a while now but have had a few setbacks with this & that. Now it’s time to get this plog rolling, turn lots of pieces of plastic into horrific creatures of the night and raise the dead!

I’m going for an autumn forest theme, mostly because I love the idea of the colours contrasting with the dark blue & black army colour I have in mind. It also gives me the chance to pay more attention to basing than I usually do. Hopefully it’ll work...

The first unit: Dire Wolves

2qd4tb8.jpg

rat11i.jpg

I went for jet black fur and painted them up as if they were living evil animals that live in the woods rather than wolves that have been raised from the dead.

I started with these because I’m still making up my mind about how I want to do the metal on the skeletons. Their poses are really dramatic, which gave me a chance to play around with the kind of basing I’m after. I'm pretty pleased with how they've turned out except the wash dried a little shiney. Anyone have any remedies for this?

Let me know your thoughts. Cheers.

Looking good! Autumn is a beautiful season, but I can totally see it being a pain in the ass to get right.

I think GW sells a Purity Seal spray or something like that, which dulls down the shine from varnishes and inks. There might be a cheaper alternative from another company, but I wouldn't know. Just make sure you're happy with the paint before spraying it, because I don't think you can paint over it (or its at least really awkward).

@Wacko Thanks man, I've heard of a few sprays out there to try out. I'll see what is most available around here.

Just got some skeleton warriors assembled and based, ready for priming in the morning!

20zybo6.jpg

2vkn49j.jpg

It's quite a scarcely populated looking forest right now but it should work in a nicely sized regiment with a few fillers here and there. Let me know what you think.

Here we go. Fresh off the table is the first bunch of skeleton warriors:

2r7ng44.jpg

2zdw47b.jpg

r0cbpu.jpg

These are the first minis so far that have the blue army colour on them and I think they've turned out quite well. There was a brief moment where I was second-guessing the metal (again), but after doing the final highlight on it I’ve decided that I’m happy with it. Although it's not the most realistic looking rust effect around, I'm a fan of how it works with the other colours as a whole.

That's all for now, more coming later. Cheers.

I've spent the last few hours sticking a few more skeletons together and had a crack at doing a unit filler. This is what I've got so far:

2zr2j41.jpg

I'm doing a filler to get some more visible trees in the unit & add to the theme, but am wandering if it'll look out of place in a tidily-ranking unit like skeletons, so this one's a bit of an experiment. I got some decorative resin bases from the net a while ago and decided to use one of them here, then reposition a skeleton's leg to make it as though he's ascending over the fallen trunk. Speaking of which - that guy needs some greenstuff straps to hold that breastplate on.

I've also been playing around with the idea someone gave me of a skeleton trying to remove a leaf that has just blown into his face. Although the skeletal infantry all appear to have wind blowing from behind them, this is a fun idea and I just had to try it out, so I've done a little conversion to make this:

1zme8o2.jpg

I've got a few more random skeletons assembled too, which bumps this unit to 20 once the filler's done.

Let me know your thoughts about the WIP. Cheers!

Thanks a lot for the comments, Wacko. I'm also a big fan of comical dioramas. Not much room for comedy with these skeletons but I've got a whole bunch of fun & ridiculous ideas for zombies and night gobbos.

Credit goes out to Borgnine on Carpe Noctem for the leaf idea :)

More coming up soon, currently on the painting table.

Update time! I've just got the second wave of skeletons done, so here's a pic:

2jdq92c.jpg

And here's the unit so far:

2rxa22r.jpg

I think the filler fits alright. It seems a bit out of place with just one in there, but I think that might be down to having the only tall tree there. I’m wandering if a few single base tree fillers would work amongst these guys. I might make a few just to see how they work. If they aren’t suitable then I could just use them in a bunch of zombies or ghouls in the future.

Here are a few shots of the finished filler:

2a8nk0i.jpg

And the guy battling the elements:

34fh56s.jpg

I like how this guy has turned out. I've now gotta do a completely naked skeleton with a leaf covering his nether regions...

And some work I did on the backs of some of the shields:

14wr59t.jpg

I'm surprised at how there's no wood details on the backs. Laziness, GW! :)

That's all the pics I've got for now. Stuff coming in the near future: I’m starting on another bunch of skeletons with the command group, bumping this merry bunch of skinless chaps to 30! I'm thinking about doing a character model too, but I’m not sure what to paint yet…

Thanks for taking a look guys! Let me know your thoughts. Cheers.

I really like these mate - you're a very talented painter! I think the unit filler is great, but feels a little out of place owing to the tree feeling a little too isolated. Perhaps a few more mixed into the unit would help?

As far as characters go, I think it's hard to go wrong with the plastic GW Wight King - a beautiful sculpt, and a pleasure to paint! :)

Looking forward to seeing more.

JJ