Sign in to follow this  
chomp

gettign started whit beastclaw raiders

hey guys!

i was thinking of starting a beastclaw raider army and the thing i came up whit was this:

1000p army

1                   Frostlord on Stonehorn           460p                  artifact:  The Pelt of Charngar        lord trait: Everwinter's master

1                   Icebrow Hunter                       140p                  artifact: the Bleeding Skull of Dragaar

1 unit of 2   Mournfang Pack                     160p                  Gargant Hackers

3 units of 2 Frost Sabers                           3*40p

Skal Formation                                           110p

total                                                            990p

the idea was to use the frostlord whit the mournfangs to charge from the front and the skal fromation to get the hunter in the backline whit the sabers. the hunter should be in range to use his artifact so that i can stop at least a spell a turn.

what do you guys think of this kind of list?

i also had several qeustions:

do the mournfang get both the banner and the horn at a 2 unit strenght? or do you need 3 of them? 1 leader, 1 horn, 1 banner?

do i only benefit from the beastclaw Everwinter's Blessing or Rampaging Destruction or both?

Edited by chomp

You must choose which allegiance you are: destruction or beast claw. If beast claw then you get the artifacts you have and everwinter master. If destruction, you have to choose destruction allegiance artifacts and you get rampaging destroyers. Never both. Beast claw allegiance is vastly superior to general destruction. 

I have all three (banner bearer and horn blower and leader) in 2 unit mournfang. 

Also, you must have 2 battleline units for matched play.  Frost sabres are battle line only if hunter is the general. 

For me skal battalion is only good on paper. First, sabres usually die fast, so cannot hold objectives. They cannot do much damage either. 

Second, if hunter is general, you cannot use his abilities if he is in hiding, ie not on table. 

Third, I have never succeeded deploying skal to meaningful place: smart opponent just places the units so that you can't deploy well. 

Additionally, hunter cannot do much in combat either. 

So while skal sounds great, at least in my games it doesn't do much. You might grab an objective with it, but they are usually fast enough to do it without skal. 

So I would advise to drop skal and get more mournfangs - in units of 4 with gargants they are pretty good, especially for 160 points. 

I haven't tried, but maybe it would be good to change frostlord for huskard on Stonehorn: he has nice mournfang boosting ability.

You might also want to check out gutbuster butcher or Ogors as allies. 

I would like to try out beast claw army consisting mostly of yhetees, they seem to be nice. However, the models don't look good and are very pricey. 

Here's a small battle report for beastclaws with skal battalion: 

Have fun with beastclaws, my favourite army! :)

Edited by Kessler

Thanks for your reply kessler.

if i have followed your advice and dropped the skall formation for now and game up whit a other list:

1                frostlord on stonehorn         460p          artifact pelt of charngar  trait: ravager

1 unit of 4 Mournfangs                           320p          Gargant Hackers

1 unit of 2 mournfangs                           160p          Gargant Hackers

1 unit of 2  frost sabers                          40p

total                                                           980p

i might eb better off allying in something if i drop the frost sabers but honestly no clue what to do whit those 60 points.

i sticked whit the forstlord for the rerolling charge distance

annyhow would this fare bettter?

Edited by chomp

Yes, that looks better. However, I haven't played much 1000p games with beastclaw, just that skal has been most unimpressive in my games. 

But maybe simply requires more practice. 

Sabres are good for point fillers. They can be useful, just investing too much into them doesn't seem great. 

Well i came uo whit a way to still have a backline charge.

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: The Pelt of Charngar  

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers 
-  Beastclaw Raiders Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers 
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers 

Units
1 x Gorgers (60)
- Allies

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 60 / 200

I can easly expand this to 1500 

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: The Pelt of Charngar  
Huskard on Thundertusk (380)
- Blood Vulture 

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers 
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers 
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers 

Units
1 x Gorgers (60)
- Allies
1 x Gorgers (60)
- Allies
1 x Gorgers (60)
- Allies

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Allies: 180 / 400

Basic idea for both list would be using the destruction ability to increase movement range and the charge reroll range from to frostlord to charge the frostlord and the 3 mournfang units across the board. Use the gorgers to make a rear charge at turn two to get to his range stuff. The1.5k list would have some more range killingpower and a bigger backline thread.

now just how to make the gorgers fit in the theme of the beastclaw raiders

Edited by chomp